Advanced Certificate in Eastern Mediterranean Studies: Requirements
Students who decide to register for EMS do not have to obtain extra credits but the following requirements need to be fulfilled:
1. Admission to one of the participating departments, Medieval Studies or History.
2. a) 1YMA: Based on the credits required by the Departments of History/Medieval Studies to obtain the MA degree, EMS students must take 4 mandatory credits and obtain 8 elective credits from the approved annual list of EMS courses including source language courses offered under the auspices of the Source Language Teaching Group: since language acquisition is a central aspect of the specialization, credits gained from specialized language courses will count towards the specialization credits.
b) 2YMA: Based on the credits required by the Departments of History/Medieval Studies to obtain the MA degree, EMS students must take 4 mandatory credits in the first year of their studies and obtain 12 elective credits over the course of both years from the approved list of EMS courses, including language courses offered under the auspices of the Source Language Teaching Unit.
3. Mandatory Credits: Four-credit mandatory core classes (two-credit courses complemented by a two-credit tutorial) will introduce EMS students to research methodologies in the fields of Eastern Mediterranean Studies.
4. EMS students must write their thesis in the field of one of the affiliated faculty from MED/HIS.
5. Participation in lectures, special seminars, and workshops organized by the Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies is required. Attendance and participation will be considered part of the student’s overall performance.